Hydrothermal Conversion of Distillery Waste
- Hydrothermal processing of stillage solves major problem of distillery waste disposal directly.
- Process converts whole stillage (both solid and liquid) into environmentally-friendly solid carbonaceous byproduct
- Any remaining liquid from process can be recycled back into hydrothermal process stream and acts as beneficial catalyst for reaction
- Byproducts formed from hydrothermal process serve as starting materials which can be developed into value-added products
- Value-added products derived from stillage can be used in many markets including water and air purification and energy storage and conversion. Other markets opportunities are also possible.
- Value-added products can be used to generate market revenue stream as additional business opportunities
- Waste products (biomass) from bourbon distillation in form of spent grains (corn, rye and malted barley) and thin stillage or 'slop'
- Distillation residues contain both solids and liquids rich in sugars [carbohydrates]
- Liquid portion can be used to prepare carbons which can be used as activated materials in water and air purification applications or energy storage (batteries; supercapacitors etc.)
Bourbon-Stillage: Next Generation Carbon Production